Secure the Compensation You Deserve after Brain Injury
The brain injury attorneys at Reinhardt Harper Davis, PLC in Richmond and Fredericksburg, Charlottesville and Northern VA, can help you or your loved one receive the proper compensation and hold negligent parties responsible during this traumatic time. Brain injuries can range from mild to severe, to even life threatening. Even in mild cases, a brain injury is likely to result in extensive medical bills and extended time off work. Regardless of the severity of the brain injury, our skilled attorneys will ensure you or your loved one receive the compensation you deserve. Contact our law firm today to schedule your consultation.
Types of Brain Injuries
There are different types of brain injuries. Some, such as a mild concussion, are less severe. Others, however, are severe and can change a person’s life, taking away his or her independence, either temporarily or permanently. Some of the most common severe brain injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): A traumatic brain injury is often the result of blunt-force trauma to the head. This type of injury is common in motor vehicle accidents, but can also be a sports-related or work-related injury. TBI varies in severity from mild to severe, and affects everyone differently. Symptoms may be apparent immediately, or they can take several days to several weeks to show.
- Brain Hemorrhage: A brain hemorrhage occurs when a blood vessel or artery in the brain ruptures. It is a type of stroke that kills blood cells. Problems such as head trauma, high blood pressure, an aneurysm, or liver disease may cause a brain hemorrhage.
- Brain Injuries in Children: Children are just as susceptible to brain injuries as adults, and these injuries are common following car accidents, sports-related trauma, and falls. Though symptoms are often similar, brain injuries in children can be detrimental, as their brains are still developing. The effects of a brain injury can take years to become apparent.
- Birth-related Brain Injuries: A brain injury can occur during childbirth, and may be the result of oxygen deprivation, physical trauma, infant jaundice, or maternal illness or infection. Cerebral Palsy is a common birth injury caused by oxygen deprivation or trauma from the use of forceps or a vacuum.
Many people who suffer a brain injury require extensive medical care in addition to rehabilitation. This can result in high medical bills and a reduced quality of life.
Brain Injury Symptoms
Symptoms of a brain injury can range greatly and can take days or even weeks to become apparent. Symptoms may include:
- Changes in mood or behavior, such as depression, irritability, or combative behavior
- Changes in sleep habits
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Trouble with coordination and walking
- Difficulty remembering things and trouble speaking
- Fluid draining from ears or nose
Lasting Effects of Brain Injuries
In severe cases, a brain injury can result in a lifetime disability that requires long-term care. Severe brain injuries can lead to paralysis, requiring medical equipment such as a wheel chair, in addition to modifications to your home or vehicle. Many people who suffer a brain injury require extensive medical care in addition to rehabilitation. This can result in high medical bills and a reduced quality of life.
Compensation after Brain Injury
Our experienced brain injury attorneys will seek damages to compensate you or your loved one for:
- Any past, present, and future medical bills or expenses related to your injury
- Any lost wages due to time off work, or a loss of income if you are unable to return to work
- Pain and suffering caused by your injury
- Loss of quality of life and enjoyment of life
- If your loved one suffered a severe brain injury that resulted in changes to his or her personality or physical and mental capabilities, we will also seek loss of consortium, or companionship for you
Schedule Your Consultation Today
At Reinhardt Harper Davis, PLC, we always have our client's best interests at heart. Our brain injury attorneys will do whatever it takes to provide you with the highest level of service. If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury due to another party’s negligence, contact our law firm today to schedule your consultation.